Wednesday, April 09, 2003

Bittersweet:There is celebration today now that Baghdad has fallen. I have mixed feelings about this. I am happy that at the very least, Iraqis can see the end of a wretched dictatorship. Hopefully the cult of Saddam is finished. But I am still troubled by how we got here. I'm troubled by the fact that war was the only answer and has been for nearly a decade. I'm troubled that people who have never been in the military are willing to send our young men and women to fight for their idealistic vision of the Middle East under an American thumb. I'm troubled that foreign policy is no done by the point of a gun instead of through negotiation.

I was happy when the Taliban fell. But that action was justified. We had been attacked by bin Laden who was supported by the Taliban. There was no way we could talk to a person who was beyond talking. But Iraq was different. We had options and they weren't used.

Today there is dancing in the streets. I wonder if we will all be dancing a year from now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

!-- End .box -->