Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Bush: Teach "Intelligent Design"

When I arrived in Tampa this weekend, I went to get my rental car. The agent asked why I was in town and I told him that I was a minister and I was in town for the ordination of the co-pastor of the church I work at. He then starts talking about Adam and Eve and why there were so many different races. I said that was probably because of evolutionary changes. He then retorts if I believed in Jesus Christ. I told him yes. I believe the creation story found in the book of Genesis is true, in that it explains, at least from a Christian viewpoint, why we are here. But to ask how we got here, then I think evolution is the how.


In light of this, The Moderate Voice reports that President Bush believes Intelligent Design should be taught in public schools along side evolution. It's kind of a back door attempt to get creationism into the public schools.

I'm not against kids learning about God's role in creation, but it should be taught in places of worship not public schools. It's disturbing enough that the far right wants to impose their view of how humanity was created on the rest of us, but that the President seems to support it. Just another sign that the leaders of the conservative movement are no longer...conservative.

1 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Blogger Shay Riley said...

You do realize that polls show that most black Americans - hardly the 'far right' - support such a measure? The issue is more complex. Personally, if we had school vouchers then this would be a moot point as parents could choose the type of school for their children.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

!-- End .box -->