Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Heartless

As we hear reports of the death and destruction taking place in South as a result of Hurrican Katrina, you'd think everyone would be touched by the saddness. Well, not everyone.

Shay, over at Dean's World by Donkelphant think that he shouldn't have his hard-earned money go to help silly people:

Two things. One, all the calls for federal government dependency. Various officials are on television calling for government aid and help from the Federal Emergency Management Agency. This may sound callous, but I don’t believe that it is the job of the federal government - ahem, taxpayers across the country - to subsidize folks in certain states who are stupid enough to continually build in locales where Nature clearly does not want folks to build. Especially when they earn more money than I do. If they choose to do so, then they should reap the full monetary consequences of doing so.


Hmmm. So, according to Shay, we might has well not help the whole state of Flordia which is hurricane prone, and most of California since it is was so stupid for people to live in an area prone to earthquakes and the occasional tsunami. Let them pay for their losses, since they were foolish to live there in the first place.

As Donkelphant notes, Shay's arguments are well grounded in ideology and in most cases I would agree that there are certain things government shouldn't get involved in. BUt there is no way charities could solve all the problems, and on a more moral level, it is incredibly heartless and Shay should be ashamed. He might be correct on ideological grounds, but he is sorely lacking in compassion.

How insulting and callous.

2 Comments:

At 8:21 PM, Blogger allaboutgeorge said...

Shay Riley is a she.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Shay Riley said...

Yes, I am a she. And I grew up in Florida, on a peninsula, so I know of what I speak. I never argued that we shouldn't help people through PRIVATE channels. However, I question whether it is a federal power or responsibility - ahem, our tax dollars - to help folks rebuild in hazardous areas that are always prone to hurricane disasters. Especially when they make more money than I do, I shouldn't have to subsidize them. If people choose to build there, then they should reap the full consequences of their actions. And if any government entity should help them, it belongs to state and local governments.

By the way, I did mention on my blog yesterday (after seeing more of the destruction) that I thought I was a bit callous in my immediate thoughts. However, I stand behind my views regarding the government's role.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

!-- End .box -->