Wednesday, August 31, 2005

McCain: Fickle Friend of Gays

If one has followed this blog, then you know that I've been a follower and admirerer of John McCain. He seems like a modern incarnation of Teddy Roosevelt. He has come out against the how corrupt the GOP has become and has stood for pragmatism at a time when the Republican Party has become more ideological. He stood against the far right when he ran for President in 2000 and I was pleased to see a Republican do that. I knew that his views were more conservative than I am, but I still liked him.

And now, McCain has just stabbed me in the back.

McCain has come out in favor of a change in the Arizona constitution that would ban same sex marriages.

To say that I'm shocked, is an understatment. McCain has been a hero to gay Republicans like myself and he has a place on Log Cabin's Hall of Fame. It might be time to take him off that list.


To me, this smacks of pure politics. He's running again in 2008 and is probably fearful that the far right might attack as they did in 2000. If he thinks sacrificing gays is going to sway them, he has another thing coming. They can't stand him, and trying to shore up his far right bona fides ain't going to change things.

I have no idea why he is doing this, especially at a time when a growing number of Republicans, like Christie Todd Whitman and John Danforth, are calling for a more tolerant GOP.

This is a slap in the face to all gay Republicans who have supported McCain. I was all ready to support him in 2008, but I'm now going to have to rethink that. I would counsel all fair-minded Republicans to do the same and let McCain know that.

1 Comments:

At 2:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Love the blog, but a quick comment!

As someone who is gay and a moderate Republican/Independent, I personally disagree with McCain's views on LGBTQ issues, notably marriage.
However he has always been an opponent of the Federal Marriage Amendment and as President, he will not push for it. Since I agree with him on many other issues and he will not help establish federal law limiting my rights, he will get my vote.
Now if he were running for Governor or State Legislature in Arizona at the time, I would not vote for him. Just my two cents

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

!-- End .box -->