Tuesday, February 24, 2004

We Ain't Going Nowhere:The Log Cabin Republicans issued a very strong statement against the President's actions today. What I like about this is that they call the constitutional amendment, "anti-family." I think that makes sense. What the President is encouraging is to deny the recognition of families with two married people simply because the parents are of the same sex. The Religious Right talks so much about protecting the family when this amendment will destroy families. Kudos to Log Cabin for telling it like it is.

I was also pleased for this:

Log Cabin Republicans have been loyal members of the GOP. We have been on the front lines with this President through good days and bad days. Log Cabin members believe so strongly in conservative principles that we have stood with this party even when we disagreed on some issues. Our principles have been attacked by the radical right and the far left, but we have stuck with our party. We’re not going to leave this party now, but we will not remain silent while some in the GOP try to use our Constitution as a tool for discrimination.

They continue:

No matter what happens in the coming months, Log Cabin will stay in the GOP and fight—fight for fairness, liberty and equality.

You know there will be Democrats that will say it is useless to stay and fight. But the fact is if gay Republicans leave, then the far right will have a politcal party to wield their abusive power. I don't want to see that. I also am a conservative with conservative values. I have many Democratic friends, but I disagree with them at times.

No, I will stay and fight to make the GOP inclusive and I'm glad there are other Republicans doing so as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

!-- End .box -->