Monday, August 08, 2005

Peter Jennings, RIP

It was interesting that my mother and I were talking about Peter Jennings and his battle with lung cancer yesterday when I found out late last night that Jennings died in New York at the age of 67.

His death ends an era when the troika (Tom Brokaw, Dan Rather and Jennings) ruled the air waves. Brokaw is in retirement and Rather left in disgrace.

Of the three, I loved Jennings. Brokaw was okay and I thought Rather was a pompous ass, but Jennings had this allure to him. Where as Brokaw brings this Midwestern nature to the airwaves, Jennings brought sophistication. Maybe it was the fact that he was Canadian and had that distinctive Canadian accent. I remember when he used to anchor the foriegn news from London back in the late 70s and early 80s. He made you want to listen to the news and I credit him for getting me interested in journalism.

We were already missing Jennings when he didn't cover the death of Pope John Paul II. It was the first major event where he was absent. He was a reassuring face when their was some major news event or tragedy.

With Jennings passing, we lose a person who made journalism cool. I don't think we will ever find someone so damn good ever again.

1 Comments:

At 9:37 PM, Blogger Brian said...

I always found Brokaw a little flip and Rather always seemed like he was telling me how to feel. Jennings was the best of the three. Not prone to overstatement or emotional manipulation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

!-- End .box -->